We offer a range of instructional programs and methods to our students at Consuelo Mendez Middle School.
Project Based Learning
Project Based Learning (PBL) is the adopted teaching method at Mendez Middle School in which students gain knowledge and skills by actively engaging in authentic and complex questions, problems or challenges.
STEM with Project Lead The Way
Project Lead The Way (PLTW) is the adopted STEM curriculum a Mendez. Currently we use six different units from their Middle School Curriculum. These units empower students to develop and apply in-demand, transportable skills by exploring real-world STEM based challenges.They include;
- Flight and Space,
- Energy and the Environment,
- Design and Modeling,
- Automation and Robotics,
- Magic of Electrons and
- Science of Technology.
Core academics vary slightly according to grade level and to each student's individual learning needs. Each grade level has a specific course of classes.
- 6th Grade: Math, English Language Arts/Reading, Science, and Social Studies
- 7th Grade: Math, English Language Arts/Reading, Science, and Social Studies
- 8th Grade: Math or Algebra, English Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies
The level of course will be determined by each student’s performance on the STAAR test and parent/student request. We offer courses in the following levels/subject areas:
- Academic: covers the grade Level Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for the subject and grade level
- Pre-Advanced Placement (Pre AP): covers the TEKS and also allows students to work at grade level with more depth and complexity within the course content
- Advanced Math: students work above grade level and cover TEKS for two grade levels in the course – this leads to Algebra for high school credit in 8th Grade.
- Algebra: students receive 1.0 high school credits upon completion of the course
- Advanced Science: students work above grade level and cover TEKS for two grade levels in the course
- Spanish: students learn to read, speak, write, and understand Spanish while earning up to 1.0 high school foreign language credits
- PLTW/CTE: 7th and 8th grade students are reguired to take a STEM based Project Lead The Way (PLTW) or Computer Technology Engineering (CTE) course which will grant them up to 1.5 high school credits